The Organ

The Organ Console
The Organ Console

Organ Sample (Nun danket)

Christ Church, New Mill, was consecrated in 1831, but there was no organ until 1857, when Forster and Andrews of Hull installed a two manual and pedal instrument in the west gallery. Costing £260, it had the following specification:

 

SWELL (tenor C):
  1. Double Diapason     16
  2. Open Diapason        8
  3. Stopt Diapason       8
  4. Principal            4
  5. Mixture           3rks
  6. French Horn          8
  7. Orchestral Oboe      8

GREAT:
  8. Large Open Diapason  8
  9. Small Open Diapason  8
 10. Stopt Diapason       8
 11. Claribel             8
 12. Viol di Gamba        8
 13. Flute                4
 14. Principal            4
 15. Twelfth          2 2/3
 16. Fifteenth            2
 17. Sesqualtra        4rks
 18. Posaune              8

PEDAL:
 19. Double Open Diapason 16

COUPLERS:
  Swell to Great;   Great to Pedals.
There were also composition pedals, and a concave diagonal pedal
board.

 This instrument was opened on 14 June 1857 by Mr. Walter Parratt who “exhibited astonishing ability” (Huddersfield Chronicle, 20.6.1857). The church was “densely crowded, every available nook and cranny being occupied, whilst hundreds were assembled in the churchyard, unable to gain admittance for want of room” (the church now seats nearly 400). In 1881/1882 the new chancel was built and the organ was taken down from the west gallery. Little information seems to exist concerning the details of the instrument installed in the new (present) organ chamber in the north-east corner of the church. Some records state that a new organ was provided (by Forster and Andrews), but it seems likely that much of the pipework was from the original organ. A third keyboard was added but with no stops – the hope was presumably that stops would be added as funds built up, but it is difficult to see how they would be fitted into what was a crowded chamber. This dummy keyboard was removed when the organ was rebuilt in 1947 by Peter Conacher and Co. The specification of the organ from 1947 was as follows:


SWELL (full compass CC - G, 56 notes):
  1. Double Diapason    16
  2. Open Diapason       8
  3. Stopped Diapason    8
  4. Salicional          8
  5. Voix Celestes t.c.  8
  6. Principal           4
  7. Mixture          3rks
  8. Oboe                8
  9. Horn                8

GREAT:
 10. Large Open Diapason 8
 11. Small Open Diapason 8
 12. Dulciana            8
 13. Clarabella          8
 14. Wald Flute          4
 15. Principal           4
 16. Twelfth         2 2/3
 17. Fifteenth           2
 18. Mixture          3rks
 19. Trumpet             8

PEDAL (CCC - F, 30 notes):
 20. Bourdon            16
 21. Open Diapason      16
 22. Flute Bass (No.20)  8

COUPLERS:
Swell octave & sub-octave;  Swell to Great;  Swell to Pedals;
Swell octave & sub-octave to Great;  Great to Pedals.
Tubular pneumatic action throughout.
The Organ Pipes
The Organ Pipes

In August 1987, the organ chamber was flooded during a cloudburst, necessitating the rebuilding of the organ, which was carried out by Wood of Huddersfield. Some of the ageing pipework was replaced, either by new pipes or good second-hand material. (Ranks new to this instrument include nos. 3, 4, 6, 9, 12, 13, 19, 21 with additions to 8 [new bottom octave plus old oboe] and extensions to 20 and 21). The action is electro-pneumatic, with solid-state note-switching and piston action. The wind supply was redesigned and the internal layout of the instrument was improved. Other minor tonal alterations were made to improve the overall balance, and the present specification (1996) is:

Manuals CC-G (56 notes);  pedals CCC-F (30 notes).
SWELL:
  1. Open Diapason       8
  2. Stopped Diapason    8
  3. Salicional          8
  4. Voix Celeste t.c.   8
  5. Principal           4
  6. Fifteenth           2
  7. Mixture          3rks
  8. Contra Fagotto     16
  9. Horn                8

GREAT:
 10. Large Open Diapason 8
 11. Small Open Diapason 8
 12. Dulciana            8
 13. Clarabella          8
 14. Principal           4
 15. Wald Flute          4
 16. Twelfth         2 2/3
 17. Fifteenth           2
 18. Mixture          4rks
 19. Trumpet             8

PEDAL:
 20. Bourdon            16
 21. Open Diapason      16
 22. Bass Flute (No.20)  8
 23. Octave  (No.21)     8
 24. Flute  (No.22)      4

COUPLERS:
 Swell Octave; Swell to Great;  Swell Octave to Great;
 Swell to Pedal;   Great to Pedal.

ACCESSORIES:
Six Swell thumb and toe pistons; six Great thumb pistons;
six Pedal toe pistons;  Great and Pedal pistons coupled facility;
six general pistons;  generals on Swell toe pistons facility;
capture system; setter piston; two piston memory banks;
general cancel piston.

 

This instrument was dedicated on 13th May 1989 by the Bishop of Wakefield; the choir on this occasion consisted of Christ Church’s own choir together with a choir of local organists. An inaugural recital was given by Christ Church’s organist Dr. Geoffrey Lockwood on July 1st 1989.