The church was consecrated on 23rd September 1831, the ceremony being performed by the Archbishop of York, the Hon. and Most Reverend V V Harcourt, D.D. The building was not as seen now, there being no Chancel, stained glass windows, brasses or similar appointments and was described as ‘barn – like’.
Following the New Parishes Act 1856, New Mill’s status became that of a Parish and became progressively go-ahead and public spirited so that funds were raised in mid – 1880 to restore the church in 1881, as described in a local paper, summarised below:
• New Chancel with organ chamber and vestries
• New East Window filled with stained glass
• New sedilia and credence table in stonework with cusped tracery and marble columns in the Chancel
• New oak Chancel stalls with cusped tracery and carvings
• New open stalls in the Nave and Galleries of red deal
• Chancel roof to be circular with ribs and panelled as the Nave
• New encaustic tiles in the Chancel and plain tiles in the Aisles
• New modern oil fired heating apparatus (to replace the old coal/coke burning boiler)
• New organ to replace the old one installed in 1857
• A new stained glass window on the South side in memory of the Rev. J W Holmes, former vicar.
Some of the fittings then installed, and still present in church, are shown below.